A well-informed, effective board is critical for the health and effectiveness of every non-profit organization.Â The documents below are designed to help you create and nurture a healthy board.
Click on the links below to download pdfs of these tools.
- Board Roles and Responsibilities: A basic overview
- Board Job Description: An outline of what should be included in this important document
- Board Recruitment Packet: A list of useful things to have in a packet you give potential board members
- Board Orientation Packet: A list of what materials should be part of board orientation
- What Board Members Should Expect: A useful overview whether you are a new board member or are designing board orientation and training
- Creating Committee Job Descriptions/Charters: What to include in both the charters/job descriptions and in work plans.
- Strategic Questions: Questions you can use to support strategic thinking
- Resources for Board Excellence
- Board Self-Assessment: A tool for board self-evaluation
- Evaluating an Executive Director: An outline of a process and materials to use in this often neglected and critically important board job
- Taking Good Meeting Notes: A cheat sheet for this important and under-taught skill. (Useful for staff as well as board members.)
Want More Useful Tools?
Try subscribing to Different Angles, the e-newsletter of New Perspectives. It will bring you an article providing an overview of a different tool every 2-3 months, and keep you informed of new training opportunities. It’s free. Subscribe here.